Advocating safer, better streets means tackling lots of issues, large and small. We raise awareness of the challenges residents of North Tyneside face in going about their daily lives.
Whether it’s identifying and campaigning for pedestrian safety improvements to road junctions, crossing points, cycle infrastructure or traffic-free school streets, we engage with the local authority and stakeholders, and we help residents and businesses to make cases for change.
We also organise the North Tyneside Kidical Mass rides twice a year, promote a monthly social cycle at the coast and try to bring people together in as many ways as we can.
Some of our campaign activity
- Advocating for living streets across the borough
- Promoting walking, cycling and wheeling to support a range of social, environmental, health and wellbeing benefits
- Making the case for traffic-free “school streets” to make walking and cycling to and from school safer
- Advocating for the creation of low traffic neighbourhoods, reducing through traffic and making residential streets safer for all
- Supporting more play streets across the borough to give more children the chance to play safely on their streets
- Working with local businesses to explore the benefits of living streets for footfall and income
- Engaging with North Tyneside Council to create safe spaces for walking, cycling and wheeling
- Working with other groups to ensure that the voices of older people, disabled people, and those from diverse communities within the borough are clearly heard
- Exploring ways that living streets can support social and economic recovery from the covid-19 pandemic.
More from our blog
Our second Kidical Mass ride of 2023 was held on Sunday 24th September to coincide with rides around the world, including over 30 rides – and over 3500 riders – …